Last Wednesday I had a nice conversation with Yau-Man about some of his passions – science, community and Survivor. This was a treat for me as a podcast host because they are interests that I share with him. I met Yau-Man at a Rotary club meeting where he was a guest. During that meeting Yau-Man gave a presentation about his experience on Survivor. It was very fascinating to get his insights about the show. In this podcast we cover a lot of ground, Yau-Man has very unique perspective and his passion for science is contagious. If you are a fan of Survivor, a skeptic or just interested in hearing some different perspective listen in and let me know what you think.
Some things you will learn listening to this podcast:
- How passionate Yau-Man is about science.
- Why he moved to the United States from Borneo.
- How the use of placebo varies greatly depending on the society.
- Some little known insights about the Survivor TV show.
- That Yau-Man is active in community service including SOAR.
- Who Richard Saunders is.
- Blowing things up is a good way to keep people interested in science.
Listen to the episode:
Yau-Man Chan Quotes
On his decision to come to America:
“Where do you go to study science? When somebody just landed on the moon you go to America.”
On Holistic/Chinese Medicine:
“Having grown up in a Chinese Society, I understand Chinese Medicine. I’ve used it and we know as soon as the Chinese got a hold of western medicine they used it. Why are we going backwards?”
On Power Balance:
“It’s parlor tricks.”
On Jeff Probst:
“He is the other player.”